The Software Developer is responsible for working directly with business units and the Information Systems department to develop innovative cutting edge railroad systems. The Software Developer is involved in all aspects of the software development lifecycle, from design to development to testing to deployment to maintenance. Successful candidates will be detail oriented, organized, able to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization, and display a high aptitude and interest for problem solving.
Who we are:
The Belt Railway Company of Chicago is the largest intermediate switching terminal railroad in North America with 28 miles of mainline track and more than 300 miles of switching tracks, enabling it to interchange with every railroad serving the Chicago rail hub. With Chicago being the largest hub of the railroad industry, approximately 40% of all railcars traversing North America come through Chicago. The Belt’ Class 1 Railroad Owner lines (CSX, Norfolk Southern, BNSF, Union Pacific, Canadian National, and Canadian Pacific), as well as several other railroads, bring trains to the Belt Railway to be efficiently separated, classified, and re-blocked for cross-country departure. The Belt Railway currently dispatches on a service-driven basis more than 8,400 rail cars per day.
What our Software Developers do:
- Work to enhance our proprietary railroad systems
- Design, analyze, develop, code, test, debug , and document complex railroad applications
- Work with other team members to ensure the software meets requirements and is testable
- Coordinate with team leadership to plan work
- Help maintain COBOL applications
Who we’re looking for:
- Undergraduate (or higher) degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, CIS, MIS, Business, or Engineering
- 0 – 10 years of experience
- Proven implementation skills in JAVA
- Strong experience with object oriented programming
- Knowledge with working in UNIX environment
- Solid SQL and relational database experience
- Knowledge of COBOL and IBM iSeries a plus
- Proven ability to provide creative and elegant solutions to problems
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to learn and use new technologies
Resumes can be submitted by email at email@example.com, by fax at (708) 496-4005 to Human Resources, or can be dropped off with Human Resources. No phone calls, please.
POSTED: December 5, 2014