The Belt Railway Company of Chicago is currently accepting resumes for a Trainmaster. The successful candidate for this position will effectively manage daily operations and employees in the BRC’s Transportation Department. The successful candidate will be familiar with Switchman, Locomotive Engineer, and Remote Control Operator duties and three (3) plus years of supervisory experience. Computer aptitude and reporting skills a must. Responsibilities include supervising multiple switch crews in daily operations, working classification yard operations, actively monitoring contract employee rules compliance, and communicating with other customer railroads as necessary. This position must cooperatively interact with other departments and external customers. Excellent opportunity, competitive pay and great benefits. Veterans are encouraged to apply.
SUMMARY OF REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum 5 years of stable employment
- Minimum 3 years supervisory experience
- Previous experience supervising employees in multi-shift 24/7operation preferred
- Knowledge of computer-based reporting and tracking programs preferred
- PC aptitude (Email, Word, Excel)
- Must be eligible to work in the U.S.
- Must be able to work variable shifts when position requirements dictate
Proven background in management skills self-development preferred
POSTED: February 24, 2015
The Software Developer is responsible for working directly with business units and the Information Systems department to develop innovative cutting edge railroad systems. The Software Developer is involved in all aspects of the software development lifecycle, from design to development to testing to deployment to maintenance. Successful candidates will be detail oriented, organized, able to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization, and display a high aptitude and interest for problem solving.
Who we are:
The Belt Railway Company of Chicago is the largest intermediate switching terminal railroad in North America with 28 miles of mainline track and more than 300 miles of switching tracks, enabling it to interchange with every railroad serving the Chicago rail hub. With Chicago being the largest hub of the railroad industry, approximately 40% of all railcars traversing North America come through Chicago. The Belt’ Class 1 Railroad Owner lines (CSX, Norfolk Southern, BNSF, Union Pacific, Canadian National, and Canadian Pacific), as well as several other railroads, bring trains to the Belt Railway to be efficiently separated, classified, and re-blocked for cross-country departure. The Belt Railway currently dispatches on a service-driven basis more than 8,400 rail cars per day.
What our Software Developers do:
- Work to enhance our proprietary railroad systems
- Design, analyze, develop, code, test, debug , and document complex railroad applications
- Work with other team members to ensure the software meets requirements and is testable
- Coordinate with team leadership to plan work
- Help maintain COBOL applications
Who we’re looking for:
- Undergraduate (or higher) degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, CIS, MIS, Business, or Engineering
- 0 – 10 years of experience
- Proven implementation skills in JAVA
- Strong experience with object oriented programming
- Knowledge with working in UNIX environment
- Solid SQL and relational database experience
- Knowledge of COBOL and IBM iSeries a plus
- Proven ability to provide creative and elegant solutions to problems
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to learn and use new technologies
Resumes can be submitted by email at email@example.com, by fax at (708) 496-4005 to Human Resources, or can be dropped off with Human Resources. No phone calls, please.
POSTED: December 5, 2014
The Belt Railway Company of Chicago is seeking a Communications Electrician. FCC license is preferred. 2-5 years of professional experience required with repair and installation of electronic equipment, such as security camera systems, radios, data transmission and storage devices, and phone systems. 3+ years of stable employment (full-time equivalent), HSD or equivalent and driver’s license required. Must be able to work variable shifts.
Resumes should be submitted by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, by fax at (708) 496-4005. No phone calls please. Veterans encouraged to apply.
POSTED: January 7, 2015
The Belt Railway Company of Chicago is currently accepting applications for Signalpersons or Trainees. They will assist the Signal Maintainer in inspection, testing and maintenance of batteries to insure proper operation, inspection and testing of signal circuitry, replacing defective components, wiring, broken lenses or light bulbs, cleaning signal equipment including signs and lenses with cloths and solvents, lubricating moving parts on mechanical equipment, inspection, testing and maintenance of signal equipment such as grade crossing devices, power switches and switch air unit controllers, installing testing and maintaining retarder systems, performing a wide range of construction, installation, maintenance and repair activities requiring frequent use of hand tools, general labor duties as assigned.
Must have a HS diploma or GED. Electrical or Electronics experience in the military or on the job required. An associate degree in Electronics is a definite plus, but not required. Computer literacy is also strongly preferred. Must have experience working outdoors year round and be available to work 24/7. Experience in construction or cable installation a plus. CDL is not required, but is a plus as is experience in operating heavy equipment. Must have a valid driver’s license and own vehicle. Must pass a physical, background check, and a post-offer drug test if offered a position. Veterans are encouraged to apply.
Resumes can be emailed to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
POSTED: January 7, 2015