Transportation Department Chief Clerk (Position No. 12)
The Belt Railway Company of Chicago is currently accepting applications for the position of Transportation Chief Clerk – Position No. 12. The successful candidate for this position will effectively manage administrative support functions in all aspects for the BRC Transportation Department. Responsibilities include Preparation of departmental reports. Preparation
preparation and maintenance of time sensitive union related correspondence, preparation of correspondence for signature of all levels of Transportation management team, communicating with customers and other railroads regarding service-related matters. Any other duties incidental to the administrative operation as assigned.
The successful candidate will be highly organized, motivated, and willing to learn the various aspects of this position. This is a Transportation Communication Union-represented position; compensation and benefits determined by the Current Working Agreement. BRC reserves the right of appointment to this position, as per Rule 1(e) of the Current Working Agreement. The successful candidate will cooperatively interact with employees in all departments, BRC union and management employees, and external vendors and customers.
SUMMARY OF REQUIREMENTS
- Knowledge of computer-based reporting and tracking programs preferred.
- Strong technology aptitude (Email, Word, Excel, etc.)
- Must be legally authorized to work in the U.S.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Prior administrative experience preferred.
- Must be able to work variable shifts on occasion when requirements dictate.
- Proven background in management skills, self-development preferred.
APPLICATION INFORMATION AND INSTRUCTIONS:
Interested, qualified applicants should email a current resume and cover letter to the BRC Human Resources Department, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Train Service Employees/Switchpersons
DATE: October 2020
The Belt Railway of Chicago is currently seeking train service employees. Must be able to work variable shifts, on-call, and in an outdoor environment. 2+ years of stable employment experience and HSD or equivalent required. Veterans are encouraged to apply. Excellent pay and benefits. Send resume to email@example.com or fax to 708 496 4005. No phone calls, please.
SUMMARY OF REQUIREMENTS AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
2+ years of stable employment experience
State-Accredited High School Diploma or G.E.D. required
The work is outdoors; exposed to all types of weather conditions.
There is a probationary period.
Must be eligible to work in the U.S.
Must be able to walk outdoors on rock ballast for 8-12 hours daily, climb on and off of equipment, lift and carry 80 lb. knuckles
The position is represented by SMART-TD Union, with initiation and monthly dues required.
You will be on-call twenty-four (24) hours a day, seven (7) days a week. Includes weekends and holidays. Must be available to report on approximately 2 hours’ notice. (You should consider the long-term effect of the above lifestyle on your personal and/or domestic situation.)
A train service employee is responsible for the safe movement of freight trains and switching of cars in the yards. Specific functions will include frequently climbing ladders to board standing cars, operating hand brakes, coupling air hoses between cars, operating track switches, inspecting cars and using hand and lantern signals, radio communications and remote control technology to control train movement. This is not a typical 40-hour-a-week opportunity; the position consists of variable and irregular work hours with irregularly scheduled days off. Train service employees work weekends and holidays on an “on call” basis, 24-hours a day, seven days a week.
TRAIN OPERATION AND MOVEMENT.
Get on and off stationary equipment; couple and uncouple air hose and electrical connections between cars; ride on moving cars by holding onto grab irons and standing on ladder steps; assist in moving replacement knuckle to location of broken knuckle; assist in removal and replacement of broken knuckle; assist in aligning of drawbars by using available equipment to lift, pull or push on the drawbar.
Send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to (708) 496-4005. No phone calls please.
Senior Operational / Financial Analyst
Reporting directly to the CFO & Controller, the Senior Operational / Financial Analyst is involved in day-to-day activities impacting material receipts, financial analysis, procurement needs, budgeting and ad hoc projects.
Who we are:
The Belt Railway Company of Chicago is the largest intermediate switching terminal railroad in North America with 28 miles of mainline track and more than 300 miles of switching tracks, enabling it to interchange with every railroad serving the Chicago rail hub. With Chicago being the largest hub of the railroad industry, approximately 40% of all railcars traversing North America come through Chicago. The Belt’s Class 1 Railroad Owner lines as well as several other railroads, bring trains to the Belt Railway to be efficiently separated, classified, and re-blocked for cross-country departure. The Belt Railway currently dispatches on a service-driven basis more than 8,400 rail cars per day.
What our Senior Operational / Financial Analyst does:
- Own the Company’s material receiving process including the individual contributions and the training of various departments on best receiving practices
- Manage material/supplies with certain vendors and resolve vendor disputes
- Serve as liaison between Engineering and Finance/Accounting
- Play key role in timekeeping improvement process in Engineering department and automation of material receipt recording into accounting system
- Support accounting with timely approvals of invoices matched with purchased orders and receipts including heavy involvement in system improvements
- Handle various daily procurement issues as needed
- Produce monthly expense analysis comparing various department monthly results vs prior year and budgeted results for the CFO
- Assist in producing the operating and capital budget at the direction of the CFO
- Oversee account reconciliation process
- Ad hoc projects as directed by the CFO
Who we’re looking for:
- Undergraduate degree in Accounting or Finance
- 5 to 10 years of related work experience
- Experience in financial analysis, procurement, receiving and/or inventory management
- Evidence of successful process improvements and project management skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Work proactively with minimal direction and change ambassador
- Demonstrated ability to learn and use new technologies
- Experience working with JD Edwards ERP system a plus
- Transportation industry / Railroad experience a plus
Resumes can be submitted by email at email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
The Belt Railway Company of Chicago is currently accepting resumes for Transportation Clerks. Previous professional experience involving accurate tracking of deliveries for a logistics company and a high degree of related customer service experience is required. Must be able to work variable shifts, including evenings and weekends. High School Diploma or equivalent, valid driver’s license and computer proficiency is a must. Data entry and logistics tracking experience preferred.
Resumes can be submitted by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
Mechanical – Car Department
The Belt Railway Company of Chicago is currently accepting resumes for Mechanical-Car Department employees. Applicants must be able to regularly work variable shifts, including evenings and weekends. Applicants must be comfortable working outdoors in variable conditions throughout the year. High School Degree or equivalent and valid driver’s license is required. Previous experience with welding or general mechanical experience is a plus.
Resumes can be submitted by email at email@example.com, by fax at (708) 496-4005 to Human Resources, or can be dropped off with Human Resources. No phone calls, please.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Workforce diversity is an essential part of the Belt Railway’s commitment to quality and to the future. We encourage you to apply, whatever your race, gender, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or veteran status.